Monday, May 01, 2006

Mama Clara's Birthday

Yes folks, Mama Clara is 99 years today. I was going to make the drive over to Texas yesterday to see her, but I just did not feel good at all. My parents went over on Friday and they will be there for her birthday today. Oh yea, she is my Dad's mother. Her oldest son is 78, I guess you know you are getting old when your oldest son is 78, huh. She has been in a assisted living center for about 8 years. She has Alzheimers but other than that she is in pretty good health. She could easily outlive some of her children. She has 5 kids, 14 grandkids, and several great-great grand kids. She doesn't really know us when we go to see her, but at least we do go and I think it makes us all feel better. I was fortunate to have grown up in a small town where all 4 of my grandparents lived in the same town. I could walk to their houses. None of them died until I was bout 18. My family ran a dry cleaners for over 50 years and a tailor shop. Mama Clara was master quilter and she made everyone of us grandkids a quilt complete with date and her age. Shes' a special woman. I'll make it over there in a month or so to see her.

2 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

well happy birthday mama clara, i really don't want to live that long myself but it's great people do, you just can't beat a home made quilt, my grandma made a bunch for us as kids, they were butt ugly but felt great. take care.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i echo chuck's comment. My granmas are in Canada and Poland so I've adopted my best friend's grandma as my own and she's 90 and still kickin'!
Happy B-day to Mama Clara!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home